An Introduction to Vastu-Shastra?
Vastu has been an indispensable part of Indian culture from ages. Although Many people think Vasthu as a waste of time and as a superstition. In reality Vasthu is an architectural science that deals with building houses in accordance with purpose, rules and best practices and Vasthu has a logical reason behind each of its principles. Vaastu considered the interplay of various forces of nature involving the five elements of earth, water, wind, fire and ether and strives to maintain equilibrium as these elements influence, guide and change the living styles of not only human beings but every living being on earth.
We know that 3 types of energies effect everything we do and every thing that happens to us:
- The energy inside your body, managed by Yoga.
- The energy inside your home, managed by Vastu Shastra.
- The energy inside this solar system, managed by Astrology.
So In this Blog we will learn about “Vastu Shastra”.
The word “Vasthu” has come from the Sanskrit term “Vasthu”, meaning any existing thing, like house, shelter, building etc. The word “Shastra” in Sanskrit means systems. Thus, Vastu Shastra takes the meaning of principles, practices and systems followed while constructing houses in order to balance the laws of nature and human principles to generate abound wealth and prosperity.
Vastu has largely divided people in two broad categories:
1) The believers, who follow its rules and principles.
- Ones are those who seek scientific explanation and reasoning behind every Vastu principle
- A Vast majority follows them just because of the blind faith.
2) The non-believers, who consider it as a form of superstition.
Vaastu the Bond of 5 Elements (Panchbhutas)
It is the unending (Anantha) regions remote from the Earth, in which not only our Solar System but the entire Galaxy (Brahmaan) exists. It’s effective forces are light, heat, gravitational force and waves, magnetic field and others. Its main chactreistic is Shabda (Sound).
Atmosphere of the Earth which is about 400 kms, in depth and consists of Oxygen (Praan Vaayu), Nitrogen 78%, Carbon-di-Oxide, Helium, other kinds of gases, dust particles, humidity and vapor in certain proportion. Life of Human beings, plants and animals and even fire depends on this. Its main characteristics are Shabdaand Sparsha (Sound).
Represents light and heat of fire (burning), lightning, volcanic or plutonic heat, the heat of fever or inflammation, energy, days and nights, seasons and such other aspects of Solar system, and also enthusiasm, ardor, passion, spirited vigor. It’s main characteristics are Shabda, Sparsha and Roopa (form).
This is represented by rain, river, sea and is in the form of liquid, solid ice), and gas steam, cloud). It is a combination of hydrogen and oxygen in the ratio of two to one, perfectly neutral in reaction. In every plant and life on Earth water exists in certain proportion and its main characteristics are Shabda, Sparsha, Roopa and Rasa (taste)
Earth the third planet in order form the Sun, is a big magnet with north an south poles as centers of attractions. Its magnetic field and gravitational force has telling effects on everything on Earth whether living or non-living. It is tilted by about 23½° at the meridian of its either side for six months called Uttaraayana and Dakshinaayana and rotates on its own axis from West to East resulting in day and night. Its one orbit around sun takes 365 ¼ days (1- year). Three fourths of Earth’s surface is water and one fourth is land. Its main characteristics are Shabda, Sparsha, Roopa, Rasa, and Guna (quality).
vaastu shastram pravakshayami lokaanna heet kamayaa
Origin of Vastu Purusha In Mythology :
- As per Hindu folklore, first and foremost Brahma the maker of the Universe, tried different things with another animal. He made a substantial astronomical man who turned out to be to a great degree gigantic and with his size, his appetite likewise expanded. He began to eat everything without exception that came his direction. In the blink of an eye he turned out to be big to the point that his shadow had thrown a perpetual shroud on earth. the divine beings Shiva and Vishnu asked Brahma to accomplish something before everything was devastated by this Creature. Ruler Brahma asked for the Gods of eight headings (Astha Dikapalakas) to come and help him.They came overwhelmed the creature and held it level against the Earth while Brahma bounced on it’s center. At that point the Monster shouted out to Brahma, “You made me like this. So why am I being rebuffed?” Brahma offered him a bargain and made the Monster undying with the help that he would be worshiped by any mortal that fabricates a structure on earth. He was named Vastu Purusha.
“VASTSHPART PRATI JATIHACHASMAN TVAVESHO ATBHIVO BHAVATAH, YAT TVAMEH PRATI NATROJUSHSVSHAN NO BHAV DVIPAD SHA CHATUSHPADE ”
- As indicated by Raj Vallabh. Long in a battle amongst Mahadevji and Monster named Adhank, a drop of Mahadevji’s sweat fall on earth and it changed into a colossal constructed person that made dreaded the earth and sky.He was loaded with gigantic quality. Every one of the Gods and Goddesses grumbled this to Mahadevji, By the summon of Mahadevji every one of the Gods and Goddesses put everything that is in them and dropped the enormous structure look down on to earth and they remained their. Thusly “Vaastu Purush” was begun.
Vastu Purusha Mandala:
Vastu Purusha Mandala, is a magical square arrangement that outlines how the Vastu Purusha was bound by Brahma and 44 Gods – look down, with his make a beeline for the North-East and his feet towards the South-West.
The outline is partitioned into 9×9 = 81 sections. The places of the 45 divine beings who are holding down the Vastu Purusha are appeared. (32 in the outer walled in areas and 13 in the inward nooks). These representative Gods manage different parts of life and have certain natural characteristics. For instance, there ought to be no weight on the focal bit as it is governed by Brahma, the preeminent one. It is to be kept open as a focal patio.
THE STRUCTURE OF THE VAASTU INSPIRED BUILDING VIBRATES WITH COSMIC ENERGY AND THE BODILY INSTRUMENTS RESONATES WITH THE VIBRATION. TO CREATE AND OFFER THE HOUSE OF SUPREME BLISS , AND TO ENABLE US TO EXPRIENCE THAT SUPREME BLISS HERE IN THIS MUNDANE HOUSE ITSELF . THESE ARE THE PRIMAL MOTIVES OF VAASTU SHASTRA.
We as a whole realize that we have 24 hours in a day because of revolution of earth on its hub and the situation of daylight changes continually amid 24 hours because of this turn. Contingent on the situation of Sun in connection to earth amid a 24 hour term, our antiquated Sages organized different rooms of a home in such a path along these lines, to the point that amid whenever in a day, contingent on the area of work, people get the best beams of sun on them.
Historical Background of Vastu Shastra :
Vastu is an old reference to numerous individuals. Regularly numerous individuals ask:
“What is Vastu? Where is it? Would anyone be able to demonstrate any evidence?”
Vastu resembles an attractive impact and there are no known strategies to demonstrate it exists. It must be demonstrated and appeared through cases and the experience of the general population who have taken after Vastu. Extensive research done worldwide by various Vastu researchers has built up it as a science.
References to Vastu Shastra have been found in the considerable Indian epic ‘Ramayana’ too. The development of the sacred city of Ayodhya, the capital of the kingdom of Lord Rama, imparted a comparability to the arrangement written in the colossal engineering content ‘Manasara’. Indeed, even the ‘Ramsetu’ of ‘Ramayana’ depended on Vastu standards.
Indeed, even the ‘Maya Sabha’ of the Mahabharata was worked by the antiquated standards of Vastu Shastra. It is trusted that it was worked according to Vastu Shastra by the considerable figure called ‘Mayan’ and was square fit as a fiddle.
In the ‘Matsya Purana’, following eighteen researchers of Vastu Shastra have been said. They are Bhrigu, Atri, Vasistar, Viswakarma, Mayan, Naradar, Nagnajit, Visalakshan , Purandaran, Brahma, Kumaraswamy, Nandikesawaran, Sounakar, Bhargavar, Vasudevar, Anirudhar, Sukran and Brahaspati.
Buddhist writing likewise makes various notices of structures in light of Vastu. There is a specify of different ‘viharas’, sanctuaries, houses, structures in the different Buddhist writings, in light of Vastu. It is said that Lord Buddha used to convey talks on design and he was especially aware of the development of the structures all together
Antiquated Books about Vastu Shastra:
Despite the fact that numerous antiquated books are accessible, they contain data and formulae for building royal residences and sanctuaries as it were. May be amid those days these standards were not taken after for little houses or not reachable to average citizens. Numerous such imperative standards and ‘Shastra’ were kept as mystery and gave just to the lords and clergymen in antiquated circumstances.
The study of Vastu is viewed as an indispensable piece of the Indian design. This science created amid the time of 6000 BC and 3000 BC as specified before. Being a specialized subject, it was limited just to the modelers and gave over verbally or as manually written monographs. The standards of development, design and figure, as articulated in the treatises on sanctuary engineering, have been joined in the study of Vastu. From antiquated writing, we suspect that Vastu was dealt with as the art of development of sanctuaries and imperial royal residences.
This book was composed amid ‘Guptha’ kingdom by Varahamihira. This extraordinary work has hundred and six parts, about all subjects of human life. ‘Vastu Vidya’ comes as the 53rd section of this book and it is one of the biggest parts. It depicts formulae for the development of cabins, royal residences, fine arts, and so on.
Viswakarma Vastu Shastra
This book was composed by Viswakarma and period is obscure. It contains parcel of estimations and formulae for building royal residences, sanctuaries, and figures as indicated by Vastu Shastra.
A ruler named Bhojan amid eleventh century composed this book. It portrays different strategies for design, etchings, development techniques for sanctuaries and artistic creations.
This book should have been composed amid fifteenth century.
This book was composed amid twelfth century and might be later to the book ‘Samarankana Sutradhara’. It depicts Vastu Shastra standards and formulae as an inquiry and answer write. The dialog is amongst Viswakarma and his little girl Aparajithai.
Thirumangalathu Neelakandan Moose composed this book in AD sixteenth century. The valuable volume contains the logical standards of Vastu development of houses.
Chennaas Narayanan Namboothiripad composed this book in AD fifteenth century. The famous volume indicates the execution of Vastu in Temple developments.
VAASTU /VASTU SHASTRA IS SCIENCE DEALS WITH THE ETERNAL PROCESS OF THE SUBTLE ENERGY MANIFESTING INTO THE MATERIAL SPACE OR MATERIAL FORM. IN SHORT, IT IS THE SCIENCE OF MANIFESTATION OF ENERGY INTO MATTER.
This was composed in long time past days in South India and discloses Vastu standards to be followed in building houses.
Mayan composed this book in AD eleventh century. It is an unavoidable reference to Temple development, working of houses and ascertainment of plots.
It contains just the voluminous portrayals of Vastu Vidya figurings.
Viswakarma, the ‘Deva Shilpi’ (Principal Architect of Gods), composed this book. The period is obscure and it portrays parcel of formulae for the development of sanctuaries and design, and clarifies standards of living.
These are compositions on inside enhancements of Temples by Sreekumaran.
Scarcely any other extraordinary antiquated books in view of Vastu Shastra are Brahmana Manjari, Vasturaja Vallabham, Vishnu Dharmottara Puranam, Mandana Sutradhar, Rajasimha Vastu, Deeparnava and Kashyapa Shilpa.
IF THE PART OF FREE SPACE IS ISOLATED AND CONFINED INTO A FOUR WALLED STRUCTURE CALLED BUILDING , IT BECOME A LIVING ORGANISM.AND THE SPACE ENCLOSED WILL START VIBRATING IN A PARTICULAR ORDER.IF SUCH A BUILDING IS DESIGNED TO VIBRATE IN THE SAME NUMERICAL ORDER AS THAT OF THE INDWELL ER, THE RESULTANT PHENOMENON IS THAT HE WILL EXPERIENCE HARMONY OR PERFECT UNION WITH THE UNIVERSAL SELF.
Vastu & Real Time Live Example:
Lets see some unbelievable examples based on it. There are various countries which are prosperous and advanced whereas others are poor and backward which happens because of its directions.
- Tajmahal & Chandbibi ka makbara– Have you ever thought that why tajmahal is so famous that it has become the 7th wonder of the earth and why exactly similar structure called “chandbibi ka makbara” situated in Aurangabad is not yet known to the people.
- Tirupati Balaji and Rest sanctuaries there-Why is so that the Tirupati balaji is world popular and different sanctuaries arranged in similar areas are as yet sitting tight for the travelers to come.The area and development of the well known Balaji Temple, the most prosperous in India, are for the most part as indicated by Vaastu: Water tank in the Northeast, Kitchen in Southeast, and the Lord in Southwest confronting East et cetera.
- Popular Industrial Houses-The most well known prosperous modern houses have likewise been examined; The Tata head quarters in Mumbai, Akbarallys the best retail location in India, production lines of FACOR a profoundly effective industry in A.P. furthermore, numerous others have been observed to accord to Vaastu.
- Japan-Japan, presence of profound water in North and the East is viewed as most favorable as indicated by vastu shastra. The eastern side of Japan is broadly spread and open. In this manner Japan gets full advantage of the beams of the sun. This is the reason Japan is rich and prosperous. There is ocean in Southeast and south of Japan, which is a place for Fire, this is the reason it endured the assault of nuclear bombs blast and seismic tremor.
- Africa– If we take Africa as a mainland, we as a whole know the northeastern corner of this landmass is added. Northwest bit is anticipated, southeast and south have boundless water, these all conditions are ominous as indicated by Vastu, that is the reason African nations are in reverse, uneducated, poor.
- Egypt-But on the contrary, in the north of this continent, there exists Mediterranean Sea, which is favorable according to Vastu. In the eastern part, river Nile flows and that’s why civilization developed in Egypt and now Egypt got name and honor for its world famous pyramids.
- India-Why to go far, lets discuss our own INDIA, we know we have the Himalayas in the North and Northeast side of our country which is against vastu, thus there is lot of poverty in our country. There is water in Southwest and southeast side of our nation, thus we have to face the attacks of foreign empires. One thing that makes India famous is that we have our slope towards east, which is a very favorable and auspicious sign.
In my next blog I will be posting on How “Vastu Sastra” related to Eight direction “Asta Dikpala”.
We require your fortification to reach maximum users. For the same, you just need to share our collection with your friends on Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter or any platform that you like.
Credits: Image credits to the real artists. Mythological Fact does not own any Images.